Thursday, September 3, 2009

Back to School

Terra was feeling much better and was excited all over again to go to school this morning. She had to be a car rider in the morning but got to ride the bus home - finally! Oh my goodness she was thrilled!

So far, she swears she has not had to do a bit of work, and Ms. Mullins hasn't taught her a thing. Apparently, Ms. Mullins is much sneakier about teaching than I was when I was homeschooling last year. Brilliant woman I tell ya!

She has a poem each week to memorize - it helps with fluency. This week she's learned "September"

September

In September
for a while
I will ride a crocodile
down the chicken soup Nile
Paddle once
Paddle twice
Paddle chicken soup with rice.

The poems are all listed on the teacher's Moodle page so I've been working on it with her at home, but she swears she hasn't worked on it in class. Maybe they've just been taking it easy because it's their first week, and, really, today was only her second day since she was sick...

Anyway, we've been working on this from home, and she does know it by heart.

I have been really struggling with "letting go" she's my baby, the last child... my Earth Angel, the child I never intended to send to public school. I don't know what to do with an empty house, this is the first time I've had no children at home since I had Tommy 20 years ago... but honestly, I think I'm struggling even more with just how much and how quickly Terra is changing. Wow. Bittersweet. I'm very proud, but a little sad to see such a sudden transformation. Luckily, she's adjusting more seemlessly than I am!

0 comments:

Post a Comment